Monday 31 March 2008

Mount Doom

Keilir is an old volcano which is about 11 miles from my house (I checked the distance on Google earth) and can be seen easily from my balcony. I have been itching to get a good look at this Volcano for a while now and on Sunday, Henny and I went for a drive.

After a few wrong turns we eventually managed to find the road across the Lava to Keilir, its a unmade road that has to be given a little respect if your car is not a 4x4. We got to the end of the Road after about a ten minute drive and after parking up, Henny elected to stay with the Car. Henny's motives became clear as soon as I got out of the Car. The wind was biting.

I joked that if I was not back in an hour she was to call in the Chopper. She told me I had better be back in an hour as she wanted to go into town and look around the shops.

Anyway, Undaunted I started out across the lava towards Keilir. The walk was easy going at first but became increasingly difficult. Soon I saw ahead of me a steep rise of rock and I decided that if I climbed this I would get a really good view. After hauling my unfit arse up this first rise I discovered that I could not see the volcano due another rise just ahead. I decided I had come too far to turn back so I made my way up this one as well.

I felt like Frodo Baggins, picking my way through the rocks. Snow had bult up between the crags and it had a frozen crust, which made walking on these bits far easier. Then I realised I didn't know how deep these crags were. I tried not think about Touching the Void.

Eventually I made it to the top of this second rise only to find out I was flipping miles away from the Keilir.

Looking at the jagged rocks in front of me I decided that it was time to return to base camp.

I took this video clip when I was up there, as you can hear from the sound, it was a bit windy.





The Intrepid Explorer, Stu Fiennes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was positively freezing out there... but we will have to go there again and make the walk. That time you better drive as I was perhaps a bit reckless. But I am sure that shiny thing is not really necessary for the car at all....

Anonymous said...

Blimey, Fraser, you still look like a member of the Gestapo. "For you, Tommy, ze vor is over!"