Friday 30 May 2008

Earthquake !

Well the earth certainly moved for me Yesturday. There I was sitting at my desk at work when the building started shaking. It only lasted about 10 seconds but it was enough to put the wind up most people around me.

Coming from a place where earthquakes don't happen, I was not sure how to react. Thankfully I didn't make myself look foolish by wetting my pants or screaming like a girl.

We were about 30 miles away from the epicenter and the force was 6.1 on the Richter. The only damage to my home was a couple of pictures had fallen off the shelves in the living room, that was all.

The Town of Selfoss took the brunt of it. The emergency services dealt with the situation in a very cool manner. There was no fuss when people where asked to move out of their homes in case of strong aftershocks, they even evacuated the Prison.

The professionalism of these people (mostly volunteers) is something Icelanders should be proud of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we do have a bunch of good volunteers in the event of disasters. The Red cross and search and rescue teams did a great job. I am very proud of my people (Red cross) :)

ByddĂ­.