Friday 30 May 2008

Thank God Eurovision's over

I was going to blog about this last weekend, but frankly my hangover from the Eurovish party prevented me from doing very much at all.

Eurovision is really big in Iceland. Like the majority of Brits, I think that Eurovision is a load of old Pap, so I am really surprised how seriously people take it here. People get really excited about it and Eurovision parties seem to be the thing to do and yes, we had one in our house.

I found it interesting that there was a flurry of traffic on the roads just before the competition started and then as soon as it started, nothing, not a car to be seen. The empty roads reminded me of world cup semifinals when England's playing (or rather losing) .

Anyway I decided to get on the outside of a few beers in order to sedate myself for the onslaught of crappy euro tunes. I managed to excuse myself from most of the first half by flipping meat on the BBQ outside, but I came back inside in time to watch Iceland's entry.

The song itself was actually one of the best tunes in the competition, although I thought the French song was probably the best. Obviously neither of these won. Eastern European countries tend to only vote for the country thats next door to them. As Russia has more neighbours than anyone else its was really no surprise they won.

I made a bet with one of the chaps at work and I put my money on the UK coming in last place. So it wasn't only the Russians who won on Eurovision night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so tired of Eurovision. I lost all interest when Silvia Nott was voted to compete on our behalf. This "thing" has become bullshit, rubbish music and politics. A Eurovison party can be fun though, just another reaon to meet great people.
ByddĂ­.