Sunday 27 April 2008

Flight over the City

On Thursday I made my way to the City Airport for my Air Tour of the City. I had been really looking forward to this and was a bit miffed that the weather was wet and dreary.

I soon cheered up when I saw the airport. The domestic terminal at Reykjavik city airport is the smallest I have ever been to. I had to wait at the check in desk whilst the only assistant was in the staff kitchen busy emptying the dish washer. The place has not seen a paint brush in a good few years and the size of baggage reclaim conveyor belt actually bordered on the preposterous, being only big enough for about 4 people to stand around. I was able to see this as departures and arrivals are in the same small room.

Anyway, as soon as the coffee mugs where put away I was checked in and heading out to the Plane.


The aircraft was a Fokker 50 and the engines had a sticker on them that reassuringly stated they were 'Dependable Engines'.


We took off and after a minute where over Harfnarfjordur where I live.


We then turned around and flew low over Reykjavik.

Reykjavik again.


We then headed north over the mountains.




As we flew up the coast it became clear that even though this was the first day of summer, things are still a bit cool, as the frozen sea here proves.




We then headed inland and over flew Thingvellir. This is the place where the ancient parliament of Iceland used to be held and is of special historical importance. It is also an incredibly beautiful place. The gully you can see running across the terrain from left to right is the fault line between the two continental shelves that Iceland straddles.

Dependable engines.

No comments: